Re: Ainu and Hokkaido Videos

Jonathan Miller (jmiller@frif.com)
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 19:13:30 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Kris

Our film HEART OF THE COUNTRY is not about the Ainu but it is a lovely
portrait of a small community in Central Hokkaido, focusing on the
village's school, its principal, students and parents, and their
relationships to each other. It was filmed for 1 year over the course of an
entire school year. For more info you can see our web page for this film:

http://www.frif.com/new98/heartof.html

Best for now (see you in Vegas?),

Jonathan Miller

At 05:09 PM 7/23/99 -0700, you wrote:
>A professor here is looking for videos on the Ainu of Hokkaido and some
>general titles on Hokkaido. He had some specific titles he wanted, but
>he is open to other suggestions. I checked OCLC WorldCat, a truly amazing
>resource, and found the titles he wanted. Unfortunately, they are only on
>16mm at University of Michigan. I'm going to try to borrow or rent them,
>but if they are available on video, I'd be interested in buying them:
>
>World of Yukar-the life of the Ainu 100 years ago: Part 1, Bear festival,
>and Part 2, Spring and summer.
>
>I'm also looking for _The Way of Life in Japan_, Tokyo, Bonjinsha, 1994.
>There are records for an English-language version, which lots of U.S.
>libraries own, so I'm hoping someone can identify a distributor for me.
>I'm specifically interested in "The Fourth Generation in Hokkaido."
>
>I also found a video from University of California Extension called
>_Iyomande: the Ainu Bear Festival_, and I'd be interested in other titles
>that you might have in your collections either on the Ainu or on Hokkaido.
>Even a recent travel video on Hokkaido would help.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Kristine Brancolini
>Indiana University Libraries

Jonathan Miller, President