Re: DVD / Library media centers

stephen O'Riordan (soriordan@ucsd.edu)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:48:32 -0700 (PDT)

Sue,

At UCSD we collect DVD.  We have added ( I believe 6 or 7) DVD/LD combo players in our media reserves facility.  Like all our reserve equipment, DVD/LD players are in a rack behind the service desk ,  Any signal can be routed to any station or group room.  Patrons can control the deck by remote control.  Audio Visual  Services supports classroom equipment & they have every kind of equipment under the sun, including DVD players.  Our library does not check-out equipment.  We have one computer lab housed in the library,but the lab (like all the computer labs on campus) is run by Academic Computing.  For lookups, ref,...etc, our patrons use what we call Infostations, very powerful, fully networked & webbed. These stations are throughout the library,but we keep viewing & listening reserves separate.

Stephen

At 03:58 PM 7/12/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Is anyone out there collecting movies in DVD format?  What type of
>carrels or viewing area set/up do you provide?  What equipment to
>check out?  What is provided for classroom useage?
>
>Is there a college or university with audio/video listening/viewing
>labs, computer labs for word processing, spreadsheets, etc., and
>computer labs for web research mixed together in a "Media Commons"
>concept?  Or partially mixed?
>
>Any input would be appreciated!
>
>TIA,
>
>Sue DeHut
>
>----------------------
>Susan Davis DeHut
>sdehut@linfield.edu

Stephen O'Riordan
Film & Video Library
University of Calif. San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla Ca 92023-0175Q
phone: (619) 534-7981
fax:       (619) 534-0189
e-mail:  soriordan@ucsd.edu
http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/fvl/FVLPAGE.HTM