Re: GATT and retroactive copyright

Jessica (jesskino@redconnect.net)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:24:44 -0700 (PDT)

I know of no web site at this time though I believe the Library of congress
site would list titles that have now been registered however they would not
be grouped in any special way. Basically almost all European films are
subject to retro copyright. I do not know about former Soviet or Japanese
titles. I expect the result will be an increasing disappearence of these
films from the market at least by major companies. I have no idea if the
right's holder is going to go after someone like Moonlight video but I
suspect that the Germans at least will go after distributors like B &T
Facets etc. In THEORY these films would come back in better copies when the
holders make deals but don't hold your breath. Many do not even have
material on the titles and in general they have inflated ideas of their
value. Remember none of this will effect titles already under deals with the
rights holder which would include Home Vision, Fox Lorber etc titles. As far
as media librarians go, I would just suggest buying the stuff while you can
and keeping in mind that while it will not change your ability to keep the
titles in your collection they should NOT be used for any broadcast or other
purpases in which PD status was formerly assumed

Jessica
Kino