Re: video genres & experimental film

Nell Chenault (nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu)
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:57:47 -0700 (PDT)

Our university uses Library of Congress (LC) classification. LC allows the
cataloger to select classification as an "individual work by title a - z"
or by "specific topics, a - z". Most of our titles are just classified by
title, but may also have additional subject headings.

Topics may be genres such as comedy, ganster, horror, or war. Topics can
also be descriptive such as historical or remakes. For experimental films
and video, we use subject the headings "experimental films", "surrealism in
film", "video art", etc.. Movements (avant garde) may also be a subject
heading, but are not limited to film as the only art form.

As a university with a large, active school of the arts and film
department, we are very interested in experimental films! We still
maintain a large 16mm collection in this area. Unfortunately, many of the
video versions of experimental work are poor quality! We are hoping DVD
will offer a better alternative for classics such as La Jettee or the work
of Brakhage!

I'd love to see your catalog!

At 03:00 PM 6/18/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I publish videotapes of experimental films, avant-garde films, films by
>artists. These are neither documentary nor fiction, nor or they for
children.
>Just curious where you would place them in your genre lists, since none of
>the genres mentioned would correspond. I hope this doesn't mean that your
>library would not be interested in these types of films!
>I'm kidding of course, but I am promoting experimental film as a serious art
>form, and it's bad enough to have to discover the works on video. If on top
>of that the cassettes are difficult to find, or if institutions are not even
>considering including them in their collections at all, then it makes
>awareness of film art nearly impossible.
>My goal is to popularize filmmakers who are masters of visual poetry, from
>the most renowned - Maya Deren, Stan Brakhage and Jonas Mekas - to the
>younger generations of film artists from around the world - Jurgen Reble,
>Matthias Muller, Bill Morrison... If anyone out there would like more
>information or would be interested in promoting avant-garde film at your
>institution, please contact me directly.
>Pip Chodorov, Re:Voir video.
>Pip@re-voir.com

Nell J. Chenault nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu
Cabell Media Resource Services
University Library Services
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, VA 23284-2033 (804) 828-1088 FAX: 828-7473