Re: video genres

John Holland (jholland@chipublib.org)
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 07:09:13 -0700 (PDT)

We keep all of our feature films in a straight alphabetical sequence by
title, although the non-English language films are in a separate section.
We do label them with genre stickers such as comedy, suspense, sci-fi, etc
to guide people who are browsing, but we have decided not to shelve them
this way since a lot of these classifications are a matter of opinion
(such as "The Ruling Class", which I was chewed out for labeling as a
comedy by one irate patron). The labels are a bit too general for my
taste, and the unavailabilty of some genres (such as Romance) makes it
even more of a problem. If no one on the staff knows the film in question,
we refer to the various film books (Maltin, Videohound, etc) for a
decision on how to label it.

John Holland
Chicago Public Library
Film/Video Center