Re: Colloden (again)

Gary Handman (
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:47:09 -0700 (PDT)

Here's the cataloging for the Battle of Culloden we got from FACETS:

Battle of Culloden.
Title: Culloden / the British Film Institute presents a BBC production
; written and directed by Peter Watkins. [s.l.] : Balzac
Video, [198-?]

Notes: Based on an historical study by John Prabble.
Issued as a motion picture in 1967.
With: The War game.
Credits: Production assistant, Valerie Booth ; photography,
Dick Bush ; film editor, Michael Bradsell.
Re-creates the 1746 Battle of Culloden between the rebellious
highland Scottish forces of Bonnie Prince Charles and the
regular British Army sent to Scotland to put down the

At 08:07 AM 06/16/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>I am incredibly grateful for the two suggestions for Battle of Culloden.
>However, I was actually thinking of the B&W version directed by Peter
>Watkins, and dating from the early 1960's. I will assume that the BBC
>version is the one that I want. All the same, it is useful to learn that
>there has been a new re-enactment/docudrama. I expect both pieces of
>information to come in handy.
>If anyone has any further information on either of these two versions, I'd
>be glad to get it, whether through this list or directly to me at
>Speaking of which.... was Culloden ever included in the great battles of
>history series that used to run on A&E? IF so, would there be a third
>version available, other than what has already been mentioned on this
>Regards, and thanks again,
>Harold Rennie
>On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 wrote:
>> We obtained a version of the Battle of Culloden indluding a video and book
>> packaged together from
>> Everything Scottish
>> PO Box 398
>> Linville, NC 28646
>> Ph. 704 733 1399
>> It is a 1993 docudrama staged by reenactors with commentary by military
>> historians.
>> Directed by Graham Holloway .
>> The video was distributed by Cromwell Films.
>> About 54 minutes long.
UC Berkeley 94720-6000