Re: Librarian position

Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:38:20 -0700 (PDT)

Gail: We do not have a professional librarian responsible for cataloging
media resources, but if we did the position would be defined similarly to
other cataloging positions. My position, Head of Media and Reserve
Services, is defined similarly to other public service department heads
with collection responsibility, such as the head of reference and the head
of government publications. My salary is commensurate with my
responsibility and my experience.

The media librarian position you describe just sounds like a specialized
cataloging position. The salary should be comparable to a cataloger with
similar responsibility and experience. How much experience are you
requiring? What do other librarians make who supervise 3 clerical staff
and 6-12 student workers? What we pay at our institutions is less
relevant than what your institution pays.

A more specific source of information would be the Online AV Catalogers
group (OLAC). The incoming chair of the ACRL Media Resources Committee,
Mary Konkel, is a member. She might be able to help you with job
descriptions and salaries at her institution, the University of Akron.
I'll forward your message to her.

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University Libraries