Re: Withdrawn films

Jessica (jesskino@redconnect.net)
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 08:13:22 -0700 (PDT)

Technically you could no longer show these films in an open setting. Right
now this involves virtually every German Film made up to 1945 and many after
depending on if they were filed on.
It does NOT effect those titles already legally under licence ( ie the Home
Vision video of M or Pandora's Box) Kino owns the film screening rights to
those titles and 3 others which were not part of the UFA library.
Realistically it is unlikely that the German's or French or whoever are
likely to notice a college screening of a previously PD film but legally the
films are being retroactively copyrighted. THis would NOT effect any
standard classroom use as they can not pull back tapes already out there but
it is another reason why I think closed circuit screenings are VERY dicey.
No one has enough time or money to clear rights on that many titles

Jessica