Re: Withdrawn films

Marilyn Huntley (mhuntley@hamilton.edu)
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 06:55:10 -0700 (PDT)

Uh oh!
We have 5 of Jessica's withdrawn titles in our library collection, as 16mm
films and/or videos. Does the fact that they're now withdrawn from
distribution have any effect on the permitted uses of our prints? Would it
be correct to assume we can still use them without guilt for face-to-face
teaching? How about open showings? Since the movies were in the public
domain, we occasionally used them for shows a professor wanted to advertise
to the campus community. Are these films now considered officially
copyrighted again, so we'll have to prohibit any future public performances
of them? And if that's the case, I wonder if we have other old non-Kino
films in our collection that have had a change of status. How can we find
out about specific titles?

Thanks for any thoughts you wish to share.
Marilyn Huntley

At 01:39 PM 6/7/99 -0700, Jessica wrote:
> As you may remember when we discussed copyright in the past I made
>reference to the fact that under the GATT treaty many European films could
>be retroactively copyrighted and withdrawn. So far the process has been slow
>but it is picking up speed. Kino has now withdrawn all of the following
>titles
>
>FAUST (Murnau)
>THE LAST LAUGH
>NOSFERATU
>THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI
>SIEGFRIED
>KRIEMHILD's REVENGE
>METROPOLIS
>SPIDERS
>SPIES
>THE BLUE ANGEL
>THE JOYLESS ST
>THE LOVE OF JEANNE
>DIARY OF A LOST GIRL
>
> Originally all pre war German films were supposed to be exempt from GATT to
>prevent the
>supresion of the Nazi propaganda films but it has not worked out that way.
>In addition you will notice that even films that are more than 75 years have
>also been "Gatted" . Since these films have been in the public domain, there
>are many inferior copies out there and I do not know how
>effective the German film office will be at getting a Video Yesteryear or
>Nostolghia video to stop
>but they will try. In theory the upside of GATT would be that if rights
>holders are able to
>re copyright their work, the film would become available in a better copy
>but I would not hold your breath.
>
>Jessica
Audiovisual Classroom Services
Hamilton College, 198 College Hill Rd., Clinton, NY 13323
Phone 315-859-4120; Fax 315-859-4687
e-mail mhuntley@hamilton.edu