Re: Roland Collection

Wed, 26 May 1999 11:22:16 -0700 (PDT)

Leslie: This is one of the little hoaxes that *some* video distributors
want to perpetrate on libraries. If you don't need PPRs for the usual
reason -- you want to do public performances with the videos -- you
shouldn't have to pay for them. Then the distributor comes back with the
"institutional" pricing model. Translation: Libraries have more money
than individuals, so we should charge them more. If a title is not
essential to my collection, I will not buy it under these circumstances.
However, sometimes I have three profs clamoring for a title, so I relent.
Usually, however, if I tell the prof that the distributor is trying to
gouge the institution, they say, "Forget it. I don't need it that badly."
If I were LAPL and didn't really need the title, I wouldn't buy it under
these circumstances. It's extortion and a waste of taxpayers money.

Hot button for me.

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University Libraries