RE: The Y2K Crisis

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Thu, 20 May 1999 12:02:49 -0700 (PDT)

At 11:00 AM 5/19/99 -0700, you wrote:

>The country of origin for this particular production is U.S., unfortunately,
>the exemption does not transfer. This makes it quite difficult for us, as
>many distributors/producers in the U.S. often don't know what the heck I'm
>talking about when I ask if a video has public performance rights or not.
>Canadian law states that we must have permission of some kind to be able to
>show videos in a classroom setting, whether it be U.S., Canadian, or
>Guatamalan. -- strange but true.

Actually, it goes beyond that to the transfer or assignation of rights for
distribution purposes. For example, even if I obtain permission from Time
Warner (MGM) to show a home use only video in class here in Canada, I
still have to go through, and deal with, the distributor to whom Time
Warner have assigned non-theatrical rights. This distributor naturally
wants to be paid so he waves the copyright act and says I don't care what
they told you, Canadian law says differently. It all boils down to what is
in the contract between the Cnadian distributor and the non-Canadian
copyright holder: is it a simple distribution deal or are there other
rights involved. Translation: migraines for librarians and post-traumatic
stress disorder for instructors.

Oksana
Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3441
Concordia University
H-342, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8