Re: The Y2K Crisis

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Thu, 20 May 1999 11:48:48 -0700 (PDT)

At 10:47 AM 5/19/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear Robert, Although Gary Handman has responded to your question, you may
>want to disregard his answer. since you are in Canada - Canada has no
>"Fair Use - or Educational exemption." Do you know what country of origin
>the copyright/producer is from? If from the U.S. - where a face-to-face
>exemption is inacted, I'm not sure that would transfer to Canada but I
>think that it would. (Fair trade and all.) Jim Scholtz, Yankton Community
>Library.

Unfortunately free trade does not apply to copyright. The law of the land
rules. So even if it's a U.S. production and there is an face to face
teaching exemption available in the U.S., it becomes nul and void in Canada.

Oksana
Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3441
Concordia University
H-342, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8