Re: DVD in libraries

stephen O'Riordan (
Mon, 17 May 1999 10:04:03 -0700 (PDT)

Here at UCSD we just purchased our first 50 DVD's. Our catalogers just met to set up DVD guidelines. Our reserve operation has installed 4 laser/DVD combo units.  Not much demand as yet.  DVD at the moment is just another format to buy.

At 12:50 PM 5/14/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Do any list members have DVDs in their video libraries?  If so, how
>extensive is your collection and how heavily are the disks used?  Are
>there any idiosyncrasies to the format?
>It seems probable that DVD will eventually replace tape and laserdisk; I
>wonder if any libraries have been developing formal plans for a gradual
>switch over, or is it too early?
>                       Mike
Stephen O'Riordan
Film & Video Library
University of Calif. San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla Ca 92023-0175Q
phone: (619) 534-7981
fax:       (619) 534-0189