Re: Videos/DVD/Audio closed stacks or open

Nell (nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu)
Mon, 17 May 1999 08:34:57 -0700 (PDT)

We have a combination of closed and open stacks.

The medical campus library has all media in open stacks shelved together by
call number. They are NOT interfiled with books.

The academic campus keeps CD's, computer software and videos in closed
stacks collections. Phonograph records, audio cassettes, and all other
media are in three locations of open stacks. This necessitates numerous
locations and circulation tables, but allows us to protect our most popular
media and create reports for specific collections. We provide a shelf list
report to aid patrons in browsing the closed stack collections. We do not
use a media specific security system for the open stacks collections, but
have minimal theft from these older format collections.

At 08:01 AM 5/17/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I would like to know if your library/media center places
videos/dvds/audiocassettes/laserdiscs/other media formats, behind the
circulation counter or out in the open stacks?

>Currently, students/faculty must request the titles they want from the
circulation counter. You are not allowed to browse the collection since it
is behing the circulation counter.

>Sincerely,
>Sandy McCarthy
>Media/Electronic Collections Librarian
>Washtenaw Community College
>
>--
>http://www.wccnet.org/

Nell J. Chenault nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu
Cabell Media Resource Services
University Library Services
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, VA 23284-2033 (804) 828-1088 FAX: 828-7473