Re: DVD in libraries

Stephen Marek (smarek@nwu.edu)
Fri, 14 May 1999 14:50:41 -0700 (PDT)

At 02:51 PM 5/14/99 , you wrote:
>Do any list members have DVDs in their video libraries? If so, how
>extensive is your collection and how heavily are the disks used? Are
>there any idiosyncrasies to the format?
>
>It seems probable that DVD will eventually replace tape and laserdisk; I
>wonder if any libraries have been developing formal plans for a gradual
>switch over, or is it too early?
>
> Mike

We currently have nearly 200 DVD's in our non-circulating video collection
at Northwestern and six LD/DVD combo machines for playback. Bought the last
of our nearly 800 Laserdiscs about one year ago. The first of the DVD's are
now being cataloged and processed and I've already had numerous inquiries
from users. I anticipate extremely heavy use from faculty and staff. DVD is
our preferred format and I expect to add another 300 - 400 DVD's over the
course of the academic year.

Steve