Re: DVD in libraries

Fri, 14 May 1999 13:42:51 -0700 (PDT)

Mike: We've started phasing out laserdiscs. We are only buying
laserdiscs when they are fabulously inexpensive. Otherwise DVD is the
format of choice for feature films. Even in Bloomington, where laserdisc
never really caught on with consumers, DVD has taken off in a big way. I
don't think it will replace VHS entirely any time soon, but I would be
happy if it did. I really don't like buying DVD for feature films and VHS
for educational titles, but that's what I did with laserdiscs.

Our DVDs are not being heavily used yet, but we don't have much equipment.
I'm not promoting them yet for this reason. I only have two players, but
I will request four more machines this summer.

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University Libraries