Re: (Fwd) Embedded Multimedia in E-Journals

Mon, 10 May 1999 08:34:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi. Don't know of any review articles, but the issue is really not rocket
science in any case:
Video files, whether streamed or downloadable can be embedded in web-based
text with simple html commands.
For an example, take a look at the following two pages we've put up:

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/Amydoc.html

http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/Lyford.html

The former is a senior thesis with buttons linking to QuickTime files; the
latter, a portion of a doctoral dissertation with streamed QuickTime embedded.

I know of no ejournal articles out there which have attemped such a thing,
probably because of the high bandwidth requirements of getting decent video
images served out...

Cheers!

Gary Handman

PS--what's a "Theoretical Librarian"?--someone who thinks a lot about
cataloging but never does it?

At 08:15 AM 05/10/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Does anyone on the list know how this technology works? Sorry
>for being so dumb. Just never read about it until now.
>
>judyjones@csus.edu
>
>-------
>Forwarded Message Follows -------Date: Sun, 9 May 1999
>14:50:26 -0500 Reply-to: Digital Libraries Research mailing list
> <DIGLIB@INFOSERV.NLC-BNC.CA> From: Gerry
>Mckiernan <GMCKIERN@GWGATE.LIB.IASTATE.EDU> Subject: Embedded
>Multimedia in E-Journals To: DIGLIB@INFOSERV.NLC-BNC.CA
>
>To All/
>
> I am greatly interested in identifying a *review* article that
>discusses the use of embedded multimedia (e.g., audio, video,
>data files, etc.) within e-journals (or e-books), either as supplemental
materials or integrated within the text of an e-article
>(or e-chapter).
>
> Significant items that discuss this phenomena for a particular
>journal or publisher are also of interest [I'm done a _preliminary_ search
in ERIC, Library Lit, Applied Science and Technology Abstracts, and
EiCompendex, MicroComputer Abstracts, but am not finding
> As Always, Any and All contributions, queries, critiques, comments,
questions, concerns, etc., etc. are Most Welcome.

> Regards,
>
>/Gerry McKiernan
>Theoretical Librarian
>Iowa State University
>Ames IA 50011
>
>gerrymck@iastate.edu
>
> "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Invent It!"
> Alan Kay
> http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~history/GASCH.KAY.HTML

>See Sun's recent Administrative Advisor newsletters under
>"Resources" at:
>
>http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/admin/index.html
>
>These newsletters contain Sun and partner articles related to
>administrative computing, libraries, campus infrastructure
>development, and digital libraries.

UC Berkeley 94720-6000