Re: your mail

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Thu, 6 May 1999 13:11:25 -0700 (PDT)

Another reason splicing videotape is not a good idea is because the signal
is laid down in a heliacal pattern - a strongly diagonal track, back and
forth, across the length of the tape. A straight cut across the tape
disrupts several scans (pictures) and those jitters will never get better.
As another person already noted, the situation will only get worse.
We have one technician at our office who actually can properly splice
videotape, and having that tech is like having gold.

Brigid Duffy
Audio Visual/ITV Center
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132-4200