Re: Feature films

HIRSCH Bonnie C (Bonnie.C.HIRSCH@ci.eugene.or.us)
Thu, 6 May 1999 08:46:48 -0700 (PDT)

We have a number of reasons for not buying feature films other than
classics. Some of them have to do with our extremely limited shelf space and
budget. We are at a point in our library where we need to remove one item
from the collection for every one we add, regardless of medium. Virtually
every circulating book in our collection has gone out at least once in the
past year, and most of the videos (and talking books) have been out within
the past couple of weeks. With that kind of heavy use wearing out the
collection, we are hard put to keep up with the cost of "nonfiction" video
replacement.
Beyond those issues, however, our collection development policy
specifically states that we will select videos which present material which
would be presented less effectively in print. This means we have a large
how-to collection, music and drama performances, travelogs, and
documentaries. The children's librarians also select book-based videos, such
as the Reading Rainbow series. Unless a "feature film" is a classic, we
don't even accept and catalog donated videos.
Then there is the unwritten policy that we are not in competition
with the video rental stores. Since popular videos are available there quite
inexpensively, we give preference to videos which are less likely to be
there.
Yes, there are good reasons for having a collection of feature films
as well. But when a library has limited space and resources, we have to make
some hard choices. Our choice in the case of videos is that we will fill in
the gaps to provide what is not otherwise readily available in the
community.

Bonnie Hirsch
Eugene (Oregon) Public Library
bonnie.c.hirsch@ci.eugene.or.us