Re: MAGNETICALLY DAMAGED VIDEOS

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Thu, 6 May 1999 08:28:21 -0700 (PDT)

It is conceivable that the problem is caused by the fact that they are low
circulation videos. Videotape is a long, thin strip of plastic coated with
an emulsion contaning iron oxide particles. If the tape isn't moved, the
emulsion starts to stick to the back of the section of tape it's up
against. We found this out the hard way with some irreplacable 3/4"
cassettes which had not been used in years. We were lucky enough to be
able to crack the case and make one pass, to transfer the programs to vhs
- which we now fast forward and rewind once a year.

The bottom line is, any tape which does not get run at least once a year
should be fast forwarded and rewound once a year, to keep it from gumming
together.

Or again, your problem may be caused by something else altogether ...

Brigid Duffy
Audio Visual/ITV Center
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132-4200