Re: Feature films

James Smith (jsmith@denver.lib.co.us)
Thu, 6 May 1999 08:09:45 -0700 (PDT)

Videos have become a huge factor in our circulation numbers over the past
several years, much of this owed to our increased emphasis on feature films.
I cannot imagine not buying them. The way I look at it, if we provide these
very popular materials and get our community to use the library, especially
at a young age, they will hopefully continue to use videos AND our other
services and materials throughout their lives.

It sometimes difficult to select a video which I consider to be of low
quality, but if I know that the video will circulate wildly I feel obligated
to buy it for my customers. My tastes may not the same as the members of
the very diverse communities I buy for, so I don't consider too many titles
off limits. I also think that it will become increasingly important for
public libraries to give people an alternative to the homogenization of the
video store market. DPL may not have the popular films on the shelves as
quickly or in the same quantity as a Blockbuster, (which just swallowed my
funky little video store) but we do, IMHO, have a collection of greater
depth and diversity, which includes nonfiction, fiction , foreign, classic,
art and you name it.

james
James G. Smith
Denver Public Library