Re: Feature films

Wed, 5 May 1999 16:47:37 -0700 (PDT)

I don't think my comments will provide any ammunition for your plans! I'm
curious why you think LA County PL collects "too much" feature film on
video. What's your basis for that judgment? Is it that they don't
circulate? Is it that you are unable to buy more urgently needed
videorecordigs? Who makes the decisions concerning what your library
buys? I don't think you will find many public or academic libraries that
do NOT collect feature films on video. In my academic library they
fulfill a critical need to support film studies and many other
disciplines. Faculty in just about all disciplines that use both popular
more esoteric feature films for a variety of educational purposes. I
frankly find it inconceivable that a public library would NOT collect
feature films on video, unless their librarians have a bias against
certain forms of artistic expression, communication, and entertainment.
It's like asking if there are any libraries that do not buy fiction.

Kristine Brancolini
Indiana University Libraries