Re: The art and excitement of writing

Harold David Rennie (aa349@chebucto.ns.ca)
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 15:47:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, gfedak wrote:

> Second, I have a journalism instructor who is looking for a program
> about the "art and excitement" of writing to help motivate his
> students. Most of what I am finding is technical how-to information or
> a myriad of authors discussing their views of writing. While these
> serve composition and literature classes well, this instructor is
> looking for something less genre-specific and more motivational in
> nature. Any leads will be appreciated.

In feature films, try either
_Train of Dreams_ directed by John N. SMith, and produced by National
Film Board of Canada (I don't know who distributes it in the U.S.--John
Sirabella, any suggestions?)
or
Padre Padrone
or
Reuben, Reuben

all for very different reasons, but all very much about the excitement of
writing.

In documentaries, might I recommend _Where Is Here?_, also from the
National Film Board. The scenes where a journalist from the city lives on
a family farm, takes part in farm life and repays the family by weaving
their words into a written piece are among the highlights of this work.
Again, I don't know who distributes this in the U.S.; the NFBC office in
New York could tell you, I'm sure.

Harold Rennie
Halifax, Nova Scotia
NFB staffer 1980-1996