Re: In-Class Exercises

Agee, Jane (agee@mail.lib.duke.edu)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 08:00:37 -0700 (PDT)

Kris,

I'm saddened to hear that media courses are disappearing from the
Library & Info. Science curriculum. I had my first media course in
the early '60s and feel collecting film & video is still sufficiently
different from monographic collection development that the course is
still necessary.

*Academic libraries sometimes require the writing of grant proposals
for additional funding. You might have students write proposals to
strengthen a segment of a media collection, such as films/videos on
animation, or Latin American films, economics or gay/lesbian, etc. A
part of this could be to include titles and/or a list of vendors who
can supply titles in the area of study.

*In viewing/comparing the two documentaries, you, first, might have the
students view a documentary followed by a film on how documentaries
are/were made -- such as Flaherty's "Man of Aran" and Stoney's "How the
Myth was Made." Also Dan Curry's "Conventional Space" and the "Gunsmoke
Editing Film" are both excellent for demonstrating filming and edition
techniques if these students have not had any visual literacy courses.
These definitely hone skills for evaluating films.

*Have the students write collection development policies for the
library level in which they are working/intend to work, including
what materials would NOT be collected.

Jane Agee