Re: In-Class Exercises

Barb Bergman (barbara.bergman@angelo.edu)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:44:57 -0700 (PDT)

Collection development project-- find reviews and select media for your
library. Within budget, of course. ex: Videos for an academic library;
CD-ROMs for a public library; or a range of media types on a single topic.

Evaluation-- Borrow several CD-ROMs, have students play with each for a few
minutes. What did they like/dislike about each title. Content, graphics,
ease of use... Would they buy it for their libraries?

Care and maintenance of materials and equip. (aka, the screwdriver is your
friend) ex: how to clean CDs, take apart the VCR to get that tape out...

Equipment-- What kind of equipment would they want/need in their media
center? Take a look at A/V equipment in catalogs, Consumer Reports, etc.,
to get an idea of features available and prices. (ex: Why pay extra for
fancy recording functions such as VCRplus if you just need a video player.)

Space planning for storage and display.

Barb

At 07:55 AM 4/21/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>I teach a course in the School of Library and Information Science here
>called Audio and Video Information Programming. Translation: Media
>Librarianship, with a focus on new technologies. I will be giving the
>course during the six-week summer session this year, which means that
>students meet from 1:00 - 4:00 two days a week. Obviously, I don't want
>to lecture that entire time, so I'm trying to gather ideas for in-class
>exercises. The class will include practicing school librarians working on
>master's degrees and students planning to work in all types of libraries,
>so type of library is wide open.
>
>I'm working on a big list right now, including in-class activities I have
>used in the past. Three of those are:
>
>* reading articles about a real public library censorship case, breaking
>into two groups, then having the groups present the opposing
>points-of-view.
>
>* breaking into pairs, reading short case studies dealing with copyright
>issues, then presenting their interpretation of the the copyright law as
>it applies to the situation.
>
>* watching two short documentaries, different styles, subject matter, and
>intended audiences -- then writing 100 word reviews.
>
>So I'm coming to you for other ideas. What do you think would be useful
>activities that library school students could do in-class to help them
>become better prepared to do the sorts of things you do everyday?
>
>If you would like to see the syllabus for summer 1997, it's on the web at:
><http://www.indiana.edu/~libreser/L552/L552-Syllabus.html> I'm planning
>changes for 1999, but the basic outline will be the same. More emphasis
>on future technologies.
>
>Thanks for your assistance. This is one the last media courses in a
>library school anywhere, so I want to be sure to give our students the
>most possible course.
>
>Kristine Brancolini
>Indiana University Libraries

Barbara J. Bergman Porter Henderson Library
Media Librarian Angelo State University
ph: (915) 942-2313 Box 11013, ASU Station
fax: (915) 942-2198 San Angelo, TX 76909