Re: In-Class Exercises

Lucy Lockley (llockley@mail.win.org)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 09:34:34 -0700 (PDT)

Kristine:

This may be off-the-wall, but what about having your students monitor this
listserv for a week and ask them to report to you and/or compare among
themselves what they learned. I may be making an erronous assumption that
all the students would have access to e-mail(?). If they could do this, I
know you could turn this idea into something more detailed and specific, I
just wondered if you thought it might be a useful exercise. It would
introduce them to a very useful tool and hopefully make them aware of
people that they could contact for more information once they were actually
out in the 'real world' of media librarianship.

At 07:55 AM 4/21/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I teach a course in the School of Library and Information Science here
>called Audio and Video Information Programming. Translation: Media
>Librarianship, with a focus on new technologies. I will be giving the
>course during the six-week summer session this year, which means that
>students meet from 1:00 - 4:00 two days a week. Obviously, I don't want
>to lecture that entire time, so I'm trying to gather ideas for in-class
>exercises. The class will include practicing school librarians working on
>master's degrees and students planning to work in all types of libraries,
>so type of library is wide open.
>
>I'm working on a big list right now, including in-class activities I have
>used in the past. Three of those are:
>
>* reading articles about a real public library censorship case, breaking
>into two groups, then having the groups present the opposing
>points-of-view.
>
>* breaking into pairs, reading short case studies dealing with copyright
>issues, then presenting their interpretation of the the copyright law as
>it applies to the situation.
>
>* watching two short documentaries, different styles, subject matter, and
>intended audiences -- then writing 100 word reviews.
>
>So I'm coming to you for other ideas. What do you think would be useful
>activities that library school students could do in-class to help them
>become better prepared to do the sorts of things you do everyday?
>
>If you would like to see the syllabus for summer 1997, it's on the web at:
><http://www.indiana.edu/~libreser/L552/L552-Syllabus.html> I'm planning
>changes for 1999, but the basic outline will be the same. More emphasis
>on future technologies.
>
>Thanks for your assistance. This is one the last media courses in a
>library school anywhere, so I want to be sure to give our students the
>most possible course.
>
>Kristine Brancolini
>Indiana University Libraries

Lucy M. Lockley, Reference LIbrarian
McClay Branch Library
2760 McClay Road
St. Charles, MO 63303
e-mail: llockley@mail.win.org
Phone: 314/441.6454 FAX: 314/441.5898

Giles: "Demons after money! Whatever happened to the
still beating heart of a virgin? No one has
any standards anymore!"
____
\ \
\ __/ / Touche!