Re: In-Class Exercises

Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:44:46 -0700 (PDT)

hey Kris.

Back in the dim when-there-was-a-real-library-school-at-Berkeley days, I
used to spring a couple
of exercises on my class:

1. Media evaluation: After the discussion dealing with materials
selection/evaluation, we'd break into groups and role play (academic,
public, school) -- We'd watch videos which I had selected (or parts
thereof) and then each group would then discuss/evaluate while the rest of
the groups listened. A useful exercise in
a) putting specific selection criteria into play b)learning how to
articulate video criticism

2. At the end of the sessions dealing with videography and reference
materials for coll development, I'd send these poor souls on a reference
"treasure hunt" thru the wilds of print and on-line resources. If you're
interested, I can send you a sample of the questions used. A really good
way to bring home the point about
how lousy the reference universe is (still) in this area.

3. At the beginning of the session, to bring home the point about how
marginal media still is in most libraries, I'd have them do a media
profile of a local library (multiple types) (nature of the collections,
budget and selection, staffing, etc). We'd discuss these in class... this
was a particularly useful
exercise.

4. If I were doing this class now, I'd have them do an environmental scan
of media on the web: locate
two or three content-rich sites...both text-based film studies sites, and
multimedia sites which offer
streamed aud and vid. Evaluate these in terms of design, tech
effectiveness, and content effectiveness.

5. Have them interview a couple of individuals: an under 20, an under 50,
an under 70... interview these folks about how much they read, how much TV
they watch, how they primarily get their current events information, what
their opinion of film and TV programming is, what they tend to rent (if
they rent video),
stuff like whether they own cable... the goal being a glimpse of the role
of media in people's lives,
the generational differences in information seeking behavior, etc.

Give me a call if you want to schmooze further.

At 07:55 AM 04/21/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>I teach a course in the School of Library and Information Science here
>called Audio and Video Information Programming. Translation: Media
>Librarianship, with a focus on new technologies. I will be giving the
>course during the six-week summer session this year, which means that
>students meet from 1:00 - 4:00 two days a week. Obviously, I don't want
>to lecture that entire time, so I'm trying to gather ideas for in-class
>exercises. The class will include practicing school librarians working on
>master's degrees and students planning to work in all types of libraries,
>so type of library is wide open.
>
>I'm working on a big list right now, including in-class activities I have
>used in the past. Three of those are:
>
>* reading articles about a real public library censorship case, breaking
>into two groups, then having the groups present the opposing
>points-of-view.
>
>* breaking into pairs, reading short case studies dealing with copyright
>issues, then presenting their interpretation of the the copyright law as
>it applies to the situation.
>
>* watching two short documentaries, different styles, subject matter, and
>intended audiences -- then writing 100 word reviews.
>
>So I'm coming to you for other ideas. What do you think would be useful
>activities that library school students could do in-class to help them
>become better prepared to do the sorts of things you do everyday?
>
>If you would like to see the syllabus for summer 1997, it's on the web at:
><http://www.indiana.edu/~libreser/L552/L552-Syllabus.html> I'm planning
>changes for 1999, but the basic outline will be the same. More emphasis
>on future technologies.
>
>Thanks for your assistance. This is one the last media courses in a
>library school anywhere, so I want to be sure to give our students the
>most possible course.
>
>Kristine Brancolini
>Indiana University Libraries

UC Berkeley 94720-6000