Re: Public Performance Rights

Stan Nicotera (stann@sivideo.com)
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 13:23:43 -0800 (PST)

At 12:57 PM 3/22/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Stan,
>I'm a bit confused about your offering public performance rights on titles
>(at least the 20 or so feature films I checked) that are in the public
>domain. Could you elaborate on this issue? What is it exactly that you are
>licensing on public domain titles? Oksana

Oksana,

You're absolutely correct about the public domain aspect on certain movies
(maybe 1500 out of 2500). Ergo, we have them, we sell them and public
performance rights naturally follow. As to the others, many are
unregistered, therefore if you purchase them, they too will have PPR, this
would pertain (I'm reasonably sure) even if they eventually do become
registered (in any event, they cost $14.95). Always, with all programs, the
Fair Use doctrine pertains for classroom settings (that's another can of
worms however).

Also, on our Open Captioned movies, they all have copyrights (on the Open
Captioned version, whether or not they were originally PD) and we do grant
non-commercial PPR to Academic and Public Libraries. Same thing goes for
all of the Special Interest videos.

I hope this helps explain although I do realize it can be quite confusing.
Towards that end, I refer you to the quote beneath my signature. Thanks
again. Stan
-------
Stan Nicotera
S.I. Video Sales Group
1531 Placida Road, #3202,
PO Box 968, Englewood, FL 34295
Phone: 941-473-2601 Fax: 941-473-2701
E-mail: mailto:stann@sivideo.com
Web Site Home Page: http://www.sivideo.com
Open Caption Movies: http://www.sivideo.com/opencap.htm
Feature Films: http://www.sivideo.com/indexmov.htm

"Have faith and pursue the unknown end. The trial, by all means, must be
made unless one would bear a spirit altogether abject, for there is no
comparison between that which we lose by not succeeding and by not trying."
Francis Bacon, 1598

"At least I'm trying." Stan Nicotera, 1997