Re: Laserdisc Storage

Nell (nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:56:33 -0800 (PST)

We use the same slotted shelves we use for our phonograph collection. This
allows you to pull an item anywhere on the shelf without effecting the "in
posture" position of the other discs. Unfortunately our slotted shelves
only support the disc half way up, not full support the whole height of the
disc as recommended.

Reading the call number is always a challenge with such skinny material.
We use some of the old phonograph label inserts to intermittently display
the call numbers.

At 09:28 AM 3/17/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello Everyone,
>
>I've got a question for all of your collective vidiolib brains. Do any of
>you have a good way of storing laserdiscs? We have space-saving shelving to
>store our video tapes on. The kind that move when you turn the crank. Our
>laserdiscs are stored on the end, stationary shelf. They take up almost two
>full shelves. The problem is it is hard for my female student employees to
>move them when looking for a title that's in the middle because they are so
>heavy, and awkward. We are cramped into a very small office space thanks to
>the wonderful minds in our Campus Planning Department who have no idea what
>we do or how much space we need, so there's not much room for improvising.
>Thanks for any ideas that you can offer.
>
>Jim Glenn
>Manager, Media Library
>University of California, Riverside

Nell J. Chenault nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu
Cabell Media Resource Services
University Library Services
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, VA 23284-2033 (804) 828-1088 FAX: 828-7473