Re: Promoting videos

Wed, 17 Mar 1999 06:59:03 -0800 (PST)

Susan: I don't think it's necessary to abdicate responsibility for
selection to the faculty under any circumstances. I don't know about your
faculty, but ours are not experts in video collection building. They
request what they see in catalogs that smart distributors send them. What
about quality? Do the faculty read reviews? Again, I encourage faculty
to request titles, but if they don't know exactly what they want, I ask
them to give me the topic and *I* find suitable titles, then provide
blurbs and reviews. You could ask faculty to supply topics, instead of
titles or in addition to titles, then you could make the selections. I
just don't think that faculty make the best selectors. In fact, we find
that faculty often like our selections better than their own!

If your video budget is small, I believe it is even more imperative to
assure that you are purchasing the best available, not just what the
faculty read about in promotional materials.

No matter how small the materials budget, we do not ask the faculty to
select all books and journals. Even at small schools, where departments
have allocations, the librarians reserve some discretionary funds. I
strongly believe we should do the same for video.

Kristine Brancolini