Re: Promoting videos

Susan Albrecht (albrechs@wabash.edu)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 06:13:29 -0800 (PST)

Kris,
I'll let Brigid speak for herself, of course, but for us, we pretty much *do* have faculty make
all selections. Why? Because we're a tiny school (enrollment 800), with an annual video
purchase budget of only $7500 (and that was upped $2500 last year!). At least through the
first 10 months or so of the fiscal year, we ask that every video request be tied to a course
or some other campus activity, committee, etc. Beyond that, we create a "wish list" of
items which are more "general" in nature, and if we have extra funds, we evaluate those
requests at that time. Maybe that's the wrong way to go at it, but it's what we've started to
do here to assure that there are sufficient funds for curriculum-related needs.
Susan

> Brigid: I assume you mean select *some* of the titles. While we are very
> open to faculty requests here, I would not want a collection that is 100%
> faculty-selected. The idea is, as with all other library collections, to
> anticipate need, and collection-build *around* faculty requests. However,
> I agree that responsiveness to faculty needs is essential to faculty
> support and use.
>
> Kristine Brancolini
> Indiana University Libraries
>
> On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Brigid Duffy wrote:
>
> > Our single best strategy here at San Francisco State University for
> > promoting faculty interest in the media collection is having the faculty
> > select the titles. Nothing promotes faculty interest, sense of ownership
> > and use of the collection better. A copy of our faculty media
> > recommendation form is available at
> >
> > http://www.sfsu.edu/~avitv/media.purchase.form.html
> >
> > Requests are reviewed by the faculty member's college dean (primarily to
> > prioritize purchases in view of available funds). And when a faculty
> > member asks me why we don't have a particular title, I can say, "Why not
> > recommend it for purchase?"
> >
> > Internet access is also a great help, of course. The main website for our
> > media collection is
> >
> > http://www.sfsu.edu/~avitv/AV.mediacatalog.html
> >
> > The bottom line is, if you want them to use the collection, let them build
> > it.
> >
> > Brigid Duffy
> > Media Purchasing
> > Audio Visual/ITV Center
> > San Francisco State University
> > San Francisco CA 94132-4200
> > E-mail: bduffy@sfsu.edu
> >
> > On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Marguerite Hawkins wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Videolibers - I am hoping that some of you can share with me your
> > > strategies for promoting your videos to the academic staff. Our old ways are
> > > not working all that well and I am trying to find new ideas and some methods
> > > that are working for you. If you can help I would be very grateful.
> > > Marguerite
> > > mhawkins@swin.edu.au

Susan Albrecht
Library Acquisitions/Media Center Asst.
Wabash College Lilly Library
Crawfordsville, IN
albrechs@wabash.edu
***"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
-- Geddy Lee***