Re: Milestone website inquiry

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:16:49 -0800 (PST)

Dennis,

Glad to hear about your plans. I've reranked your ideas according to what I
feel is important followed by a couple of ideas of my own.

At 08:49 AM 3/16/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear friends,
>
>We are presently designing our first website for Milestone Film & Video which
>will naturally include our film and video catalogs. But we are very
interested
>in asking people out there what you look for in a film website or what you
>could really use if provided.

3) posting the "Ideas for Running a Film Society" we've sent out in the past
by request
1) specially written articles by film historians and critics on our films or
that pertain to related subjects
2) a bibliography for several of our titles, etc.
4) stills and press kits for each film WOULD WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO DOWNLOAD
AND PRINT AS PART OF PROMOTION WITHIN OUR INSTITUTIONS? I HOPE YOU START
WITH THE MARY PICKFORD MATERIAL
5) trivia contests to win a free video, laserdisc, or DVD each month

The most important aspect of a website, for me, is something that is
uncluttered visually, easy and fast to search. Categories by series,
filmmaker, country, genre, decade also simplify the search process.

Now, there's another issue that you may want to address to some extent, and
that is the issue of rights. I know most people purchasing newly released
videos do not encounter major problems. But items do eventually go
out-of-print, certain distributors fold or are bought up by others, so it
would be nice if some information about items you no longer have or
distribute was included. I'm thinking of your Lumivision titles as an
example. Then, of course, there is the netherworld of film distribution
where things appear to be somewhat different: distribution rights expire,
prints get scrapped and moving image librarians keep trying to track down
elusive film prints. I'm certainly not asking that you divulge contract
agreements but a list of Milestone titles that are out of print or no
longer distributed would be informative. If you've picked up titles that
someone else used to distribute, let us know also. Finally, for all of us
non-USA librarians, advise us whether you have world, North American, or
U.S. only rights.

Don't go web-based-only, not yet anyway.

Oksana
Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3441
Concordia University
H-342, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec
Canada H3G 1M8