Re: Movie search "Say Amen Somebody"

Marilyn Huntley (mhuntley@hamilton.edu)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:26:53 -0800 (PST)

To Jessica and Beth -

Sorry if I caused any confusion with my information from First Run.

When I called First Run yesterday to ask about the "Say Amen, Somebody"
video, I *thought* I was callling First Run/Icarus. My rolodex card is a
mess, some of it in my predecessor's handwriting (more than 5 years ago)
and some of it in mine. She originally wrote the company name as First Run
Features and then crossed off the "Features" and changed it to First
Run/Icarus. The card has separate lines for non-theatrical and
semi-theatrical bookings, 5 assorted people's names crossed out and 1 that
isn't, with arrows pointing thisaway and thataway to connect the divisions
and people to 3 differerent phone numbers and a fax number!

I thought it was all one company, First Run/Icarus, with multiple phone
numbers, so I just chose one of the numbers & dialed it. Most likely I used
the one that appears to belong with "semi-theatrical bookings." So, there
are 2 separate divisions? (Or separate companies?) If so, I'm still not
sure which one I was talking with, but it was the right folks, the ones who
distribute "Say Amen, Somebody" and whose rep told me that they have only
the home-video rights.

Well, whoever they are, we decided to go ahead and buy the video anyway;
we'll find out later if there's a way to get public performance licensing
for an open showing, or if we're stuck with classroom-use only. And I'm
still hoping one of our videolibbers can help me with that part of my search.

Marilyn

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
At 06:14 AM 3/10/99 -0800, Beth wrote:
>Jessica,
> Greetings from Connecticut!
> Could it be that they are referring to "First Run Features"? We have a
>number of their titles... I've always assumed (arrgh!) that there is no
>connection between these folks and "First Run/Icarus Films" but, I could
>be confused. Can you possibly shed further light on this one for us!
> Cheers! Beth
>
>+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
>
>On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Jessica wrote:
>
>> I can not understand how First Run could have a tape WITHOUT public
>> Performance rights or at the very least know who owns them. They are not a
>> general retailer and only sell what they actually own & duplicate
>> themselves. IF they sell the tape the MUST know who owns it.
>>
>> Jessica Rosner
>> Kino
Audiovisual Classroom Services, 408 C. A. Johnson Hall
Hamilton College, 198 College Hill Rd., Clinton, NY 13323
Phone 315-859-4120; Fax 315-859-4687
e-mail mhuntley@hamilton.edu