Re: Afro-Cuban music

Jonathan Miller (jmiller@frif.com)
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 16:13:01 -0800 (PST)

Dear Joan,

Here is some information on our film MACHITO, one of my all time
favorities... (made by Carlos Ortiz, an old friend of mine from NYU film
school days).

Sincerely,

Jonathan Miller
-----------------

MACHITO: A Latin Jazz Legacy
A Film by Carlos Ortiz

In a career that spanned half a century, Cuban bandleader Frank "Machito"
Grillo embodied Latin Jazz and influenced several generations of musicians,
contributing to a cultural explosion on the international music scene.

MACHITO weaves together vintage film clips and recordings, Hollywood
production numbers, and one-of-a-kind street performances from 1920s Cuba to
contemporary New York. Sensational shows at such hot spots as the Cotton
Club highlight the golden era of Latin Jazz in the 40s and 50s.

Musicians Tito Puente, Dizzy Gillespie, Dexter Gordon, and Ray Barreto share
fond memories of the scene while paying tribute to Machito. Warm and
"simpatico," Machito laughs, reminisces, and plays some of the hottest Latin
Jazz on film anywhere.

"Hugely informative, with astonishing archival footage." - John Pareles, New
York Times

"Documentaries, at their best, can bring you near to the past, to people and
events you might never have known. That's what Ortiz has done here: brought
us close to a wonderful man and a marvelous life and music we might
otherwise have missed... This is a movie that can make you cry and laugh as
well as dance." - Michael Wilmington, Los Angeles Times

"Excellent archive visuals of a myriad of bands, in Cuba and in New York." -
Landers Film & Video Reviews

"A warm, exciting tribute, this film will move you right off your seat." -
Pele deLappe, People's Daily World

"**** [4 Stars - Highly Recommended] The appeal of this program lies in the
way it intertwines interviews, performances, archival film footage, and
'atmospheric' shots of neon lights and crowded dance floors, emphasizing the
full impact of Machito's career within the context of his time, as well as
his legacy to the music of today. Libraries with large Latin-American
communities or with an extensive music collection should consider purchasing
this video. I could be used effectively in programming concerning Latin
Americans, music, the contribution of immigrants, or even a larger program
highlighting the 1940s." - Mary M. Morris, Video Rating Guide for Libraries

** 1989 Festival Latino, New York
** First Prize Winner, 1988 San Juan Film Festival
** 1987 American Film & Video Festival
** Jury Prize Winner, 1986 San Antonio Film Festival

58 minutes / color / 1987
Sale/16mm: $995
Sale/video: $390
Rental/16mm: $125