Re: video cleaning

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:33:21 -0800 (PST)

Just a thought - does your system also give you some way of detecting low
usage videos? Every tape should be fast-forwarded and rewound (better yet,
run through a cleaner) each year, to avoid deterioration problems - the
magnetic oxide on the front side of the videotape sticking to the back
side of the tape it's against. This is probably mentioning the obvious,
but we nearly lost some irreplacable tapes a few years ago. Now we clean
every tape, every year. Tedious but effective.

Brigid Duffy
Audio Visual/ITV Center
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132-4200