Re: DVD Durability

Karen C. Driessen (karend@selway.umt.edu)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 08:28:17 -0800 (PST)

You may want to collect anectdotal info from your local video stores who
circulate these. We haven't jumped in yet but I hear the local stores are
experiencing many durability problems and complaints from customers.

At 10:32 AM 2/10/99 -0800, you wrote:
>This is reallllly off the top of the head, and with little but anecdotal
>evidence, Kris, but we've found that DVD's seem for some reason to be more
>susceptible to errors due to dirt and grim than laser. Don't know if this
>is just a quirk...if it's due to a more finely tuned read mechanism in DVD,
>or differences in the physical medium.
>
>Gary Handman
>UCB
>

>>We haven't collected DVDs long enough to have any data on durability yet.
>>There are anecdotes suggesting that DVDs are easily damaged. Have any of
>>your libraries experienced problems with DVD durability? I'm hoping some
>>of you have had DVDs in circulation long enough to have anecdotal
>>information of your own! Thanks.
>>
>>Kristine Brancolini
>>Indiana University Libraries
>

>Gary Handman
>Director
>Media Resources Center
>Moffitt Library
>UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
>510-643-8566
>ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
>http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>
>"You are looking into the mind of home video. It is innocent, it is aimless,
>it is determined, it is real" --Don DeLillo, Underworld

Karen C. Driessen, Director Phone: 406-243-2856
Instructional Media Services FAX: 406-243-4067
Mansfield Library E-mail:
karend@selway.umt.edu
The University of Montana
Missoula MT 59812