RE: TV Turn-Off

Judy Jones (jonesjm@libraryserver.lib.csus.edu)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:28:45 -0800 (PST)

Another lifetime ago I attended a series of in-service classes
on "principles of clear writing." I remember some advice very
clearly: Never close a letter in a negative fashion, as in
"please don't hesitate to call," and, in fact, lay off negative
publicity, negative promotional stuff. Perhaps the better idea
for turn off TV week would be the more positive "Family
Interactive Week" or "Take the Family to the Library/Bookstore
Week" or whatever. Would this be a good suggestion to ALA,
rather than just a criticism?

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999
10:37:48 -0800 (PST) Reply-to: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
From: Gary Handman <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> To:
Multiple recipients of list <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: RE: TV Turn-Off

.to which I would reply: hold a "Watch and Think" week... hold
programs which encourage responsible and intelligent reading and viewing.
Build collections which encourge access to the good stuff--both print and
visual. Give the public the opportunity to experience the broadest and
books and videos which are not available in Blockbusters, Borders, or on
the tube. Fight for literacy in all it's forms...

The notion of libraries as crusaders against the evils of pop culture goes
back to the 19th Century... If we want to be perceived as 19th Century
institutions, I can think of no better way than to persist in pitting one
medium against the other.

Gary Handman