Re: Fwd: Video discrimination

Irene Wood (iwood@ala.org)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 08:21:49 -0600

Huzzah, Gary!

Irene Wood
Media Editor, Booklist
American Library Association
50 East Huron
Chicago, IL 60611
iwood@ala.org

>>> Gary Handman <ghandman@library.berkeley.edu> 01/21 11:39 AM >>>
Ah me! A friend forwarded this listserv query to me. I've sent a response
(trying to be as diplomatic as possible). Might be useful for public
library colleagues to throw their two bits in also.

Seems incredible to me that there are still librarians out there who don't
understand how much their users have been rewired by media, and how
important it is to actively collect and promote what's best and brightest.
Media ain't the literacy anti-Christ--bad or irresponsible media is (same
could be said about print). Instead of promoting turning the TV and VCR
off, shouldn't we be promoting responsible viewing and media literacy
(regardless of the medium).

Cheers!

Gary Handman

>Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 06:16:44 -0800 (PST)
>From: Debbie Scott <debbie@scottfamily.com>
>To: publib <publib@sunsite.berkeley.edu>
>Subject: TV Free Week in April
>
>I am planning ahead for TV Free Week coming up in April and since it
>is
>my first year as Director, I am interested in what other libraries
>have
>done in the past. One of the issues that has been brought up is
>whether
>we should circulate our video collection during that week or not.
>Any
>ideas for programs would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thank you!
>Debbie Scott
>Heermance Memorial Library
>1 Ely Street