Re: Preview videos

Nell (nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:06:38 -0500

We have a music reviewer who donates promotional recordings to us. We do
not add these to our collection. Some of the labels state that they are
the property of the recording company and for promotional use only.
Additionally, the artist makes no profit off these titles as there is no
sale.

At 10:07 AM 1/21/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi everyone - I have a question that may only really relate to me (or
>others in the Southern California area) but I thought I would throw it out
>for discussion.
>
>We receive quite a few donations of videos that have been given to
>Motion Picture Academy members to preview while voting for the
>Academy Awards. They often have some indication of that printed on
>the video itself (such as "For your consideration" or similar) and
>sometimes include some extra footage about the preview. Does anyone
>know of anything prohibiting these videos from being included in a library
>collection? Similarly, how do people treat "promotional" CDs which have
>a "not for sale" printed on them? I would appreciate any feedback -
>
>Thanks -

>Leslie Andersen
>Non-Print Materials Evaluator
>County of Los Angeles Public Library

Nell J. Chenault nchenaul@saturn.vcu.edu
Cabell Media Resource Services
University Library Services
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, VA 23284-2033 (804) 828-1088 FAX: 828-7473