Re: Use of Rented Videotapes

Brigid Duffy (bduffy@sfsu.edu)
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 17:43:07 -0800 (PST)

My understanding of contractual agreements with video rental stores is
that the cassettes are rented for home showings. If faculty members bring
in a cassette for a cablecast showing to a University class, however, we
do not inquire as to its origin; that is the faculty member's
responsibility. After the showing, the faculty members pick up their
tapes, or we deliver the tape back to them if they fail to do so.

It might also be worthwile to remind teachers that, given current video
prices, if they keep renting a video on a regular basis, it won't be that
long before the rental fees exceed the purchase price.

Brigid Duffy
Media Purchasing
Audio Visual/ITV Center
San Francisco State University