Re: Query: Average cost of academic videos?

Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:23:26 -0800 (PST)

Dear Frank,

I absolutely agree with you that titles from United Learning, et al (which
are, of course, *not* in the $300 and up range) are exceptionally
well-suited to curriculum use. I'm not sure I quite agree about the quality
of the "made for tv" stuff. "Africans in America" is "made for tv." A fair
amount of the material that educational vendors are selling is "made for
tv." Ambrose, for example, will sell a Discovery Channel program for about
$100. BMG Video, a home video co., will sell a Discovery Channel program for
about $20. I don't mean to pick on Ambrose--this is a very widespread
feature of the video distribution landscape. I have to agree with Kris on
the main focus of this thread, however, that there is no real "average" cost
of academic videos, which are a little different from K-12 titles. Many fine
academic videos literally range in cost from $19.95 to $395 and where's the
average in that?

Best

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor