Re: Query: Average cost of academic videos?

Frank Landrum (flandrum@lane.k12.or.us)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:33:42 -0800 (PST)

Randy,
With all due respect to the Video Librarian, which is without doubt a high
quality publication, I cannot agree with your thoughts. Having worked in
regional agencies for over 25 years as both a reviewer and in coordinating
reviewing teams, there is a definite difference in overall quality of media
produced for the education market. Of course there are "dogs", but
generally speaking, we purchase 80-90% of media that comes from educational
vendors and little of the "made for tv" stuff. It usually does not include
a teacher guide, is often 58 minutes (with lots of filler) and has little
or no curriculum relevance.
I do not think Mike was saying that videos are the same as textbooks. I
read his statement as making an analogy of trade to text.
Yes there are lots of videos out there that do a decent job at a cheap
price. But education, like any other field or business, needs to seek out
the best quality that it can find. I would rather have 10 high quality
videos than 50 mediocre quality ones. We still buy the Schesslinger and
others, but we buy mostly from the United Learning, AGC, and Benchmarks of
the world. For one thing, true professional vendors allow us to preview
before purchase. The cheapo mail order houses often will not. They
provide many services beyond filling a purchase order.
Thanks for allowing me to share my thoughts.
Best wishes to those on this wonderful listerv.
Frank
Frank Landrum
flandrum@lane.k12.or.us
Lane ESD