Re: public libraries and video circulation

Maurine Canarsky (maurinec@muskox.alaska.edu)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:29:56 -0800 (PST)

Hello Lisbeth:

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Lisbeth S. Goldberg wrote:

> Looking for updates on video circulation, in regard to age
> restrictions, number of items checked per card, renewals, loan periods,
> fines.
We have no age restrictions. At the time of registration, on the back of
the form we use to get a library card, the applicant, or parent/guardian
of the applicant reads and signs a statement acknowledging thatby signing
the form they are aware that there are no age restrictions for borrowing
library materials, including videos.
We allow 3 videos per library card. Our circulation system will
automatically block a card with more than 3.
We allow 1 renewal only provided there are no holds placed on the video.
Our loan period is 7 days for all videos including features,
documentaries, children's, etc.
Our fines are $1.50 per title per day capping at $10.00. Also, our
system restricts the card if there are overdue videos.>
> Does anyone know if the "Freedom to View" statement on the VRT home page
> is the latest and most definitive. Is anyone making available video
> self-check, and how does it effect some of these other issues?
> This I have not checked so can't help you there. Hope the other info.
helps.

Maurine Canarsky, Circulation/Media Librarian
Noel Wien Public Library
1215 Cowles St.
Fairbanks, AK 99701
907-459-1020