Re: storage of records

Frank Landrum (flandrum@lane.k12.or.us)
Thu, 05 Nov 1998 14:46:30 -0800

In an old James Brown, AV Instruction, from my college days, I found the
following.
Storing and handling disk recordings
Store large quantities of recordings according to size...
Use heavy envelopes for single records
Place an identifying number of both sides of the top corner of envelope to
facilitate location
Store records in a vertical position, rather than one on top of the other.
Do not allow them to lean or sag, or they will warp. If necessary use
pieces of corrugated card oard to compact a record file which does not
completely fill a storage compartment.
Avoid extremes of hot or cold. Do not store records near radiators or heat
vents.
Handle records by edges or centers, avoiding finger marks which will
collect dust ad affect playing quality
Remove dust with a soft cloth which has been dipped in cold water and wrung
as dry as possible. Wipe the record surface gently in the direction of the
grooving. Never use alcohol, naphtha, or other house hold cleaning fluids.
Such checicals may dissolve some othe the plastic.

Mostly common sense, I suppose, but I sure did use Brown's books early in
my career.
Good luck
Frank Landrum
flandrum@lane.k12.or.us