Re: Sembene video

Jim Scholtz (
Tue, 03 Nov 1998 11:06:04 -0600

I don't believe you are correct in assuming that you must have a U.S.
distributor and U.S. copyright in order to own a film/video. You are free
to purchase anything (for legal consumption) you want worldwide. If an
item has a U.S./regional distributor and your other source would infringe
on that territory; you should (must?) purchase it from that source, but in
terms of copyright (the U.S. now subscribes to the worldwide Berne
Convention (China, Japan and a few other countries do not subscribe to this
for copyright). Think of it this way, libraries order books from
distributors outside the U.S. all the time - same thing. Jim Scholtz.

At 04:49 AM 11/3/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear CW,
>I am getting very confused here. If a video does not have a US
>distributor, you are not suppose to own it or show it. We are a small
>school, but we have faculty members going all over the world. Also, we
>have at least three foreign faculty members visit us a year. So, we have
>faculty members bringing back videos from foreign countries frequently.
>The visiting faculty bring videos from their home countries to use in
>classes they teach at our college.
>I admit, if possible, we prefer to own the film then rent it. Faculty can
>be very inconsiderate with giving us lead time for rentals. Frequently, we
>can not get films when faculty members what to show them. Also, for some
>titles, if we show it twice, the rental price would equal the purchase price.
>So, back to my question, can you obtain foreign films from other countries
>to show in the U.S. for educational purposes?
>Eileen Karsten
>Head of Technical Services
>North Park University
>3225 W. Foster Ave.
>Chicago, IL 60625-4987