Re: Sembene video

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@gold.sdln.net)
Tue, 03 Nov 1998 11:06:04 -0600

I don't believe you are correct in assuming that you must have a U.S.
distributor and U.S. copyright in order to own a film/video. You are free
to purchase anything (for legal consumption) you want worldwide. If an
item has a U.S./regional distributor and your other source would infringe
on that territory; you should (must?) purchase it from that source, but in
terms of copyright (the U.S. now subscribes to the worldwide Berne
Convention (China, Japan and a few other countries do not subscribe to this
for copyright). Think of it this way, libraries order books from
distributors outside the U.S. all the time - same thing. Jim Scholtz.