Re: Personal copies of videos on reserve

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@gold.sdln.net)
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 08:28:05 -0600

Hi Carolyn, I hope you agree that I'm not on a sopbox either and that I'm
certainly in favor of paying an "acceptable price" for a quality product.
Your analogy about the woman with breast cancer needing your video is very
poignant and to some extent I agree; however (there always seems to be a
however in a reply, doesn't there?) if you charged a lower, acceptable
fee, chances are that this video (or even multiple copies of it) would be
available at public libraries and other sources so that this woman could
have access to it and not pay a dime - saving her even more money and
giving access to many more people (many of whom would rent/borrow your
program, but probably not buy it - even a a very low price. Now I know
that there is a thresehold where not even a low price would insure a
maximum number of sales and that advertising your product to 38,000+
libraries, numerous colleges, universities and schools is not economically
feasible with regards to cost versus expected sales return, but sometimes,
I feel that two-tiered pricing really is like shooting oneself in the foot.
The duplication and physical tape costs are the same. I can see offfering
public performance and other rights for more money - possibly as
"value-added" add-ons to an existing tape (such as PBS and Ambrose do). It
seems that several companies like Kaw Valley Films, Acorn Media,
Findley-Holiday, and IVN do survive in offering quality tapes with pp
rights at $19.95 - $29.95 - they must sell an "awful lot of tapes". (keep
in mind that I know an "awful lot of videos" in the educational market may
mean as little as 1500 copies. These are just musings, not meant to get
your hackles up - I've written 4 books about videos in libraries and
distributing videos and I sympathize with the producer/distributor's
plight. Independent film/video cannot survive without customers, otherwise
everything will look formula like National Geographic and Nova. I'm in
your corner - but you have to realize that I can help you by buying your
stuff. Jim Scholtz, Yankton Community Library.