Re: Personal copies of videos on reserve

Jim Glenn (jglenn@ucrac1.ucr.edu)
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:38:29 -0800

I've been reading everyone's opinions about putting personal videos on
reserve and can understand both sides of the issue. But I have to side with
Kris. There are so many programs that faculty want that are just not
available on video either because they were never released or are out of
print or whatever, but which are still very important to the teaching of a
particular course. We have the only doctoral program in Dance History in
the entire country. Our Dance Department has it's own collection of videos,
many of which are off-air from many years ago and are not available on
video, but which are still imperative for dance instruction. So what are
faculty to do?

I can understand the concerns of vendors if bootleg copies of their
programs are being used. But I don't understand why any vendor is concerned
when a program was never released on video or is out of print. If there is
no profit to be made, then what difference does it make? Some of these
copyright laws that are used to shackle us are so stupid!

Jim Glenn
Manager, Media Library
University of California, Riverside
JGlenn@pop.ucr.edu