Re: Personal copies of videos on reserve

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@gold.sdln.net)
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:53:25 -0600

Hi, I can tell you from personal experience working at a reference/reserve
desk in a college library that, many times, photocopies of book chapters,
magazine articles, etc. are put on reserve for students. The Library tries
to discover if these items are legally acquired or not/multiple duplication
rights have been acquired) but sometimes it is difficult to ascertain that
information, especially within the time requirements of the
instructor/course of study. This practice of "limited time access material
on reserve for a particular course" is quite different than placing a
photocopy of an entire book (which is what you are relating your scenario
to) on a library shelf for the duration of its shelf life accessible to the
general populace at large. (I know that the copyright laws don't care
about this distinction (only type of use, author's rights, and content
significance are involved in the law). Jim Scholtz