Re: Personal copies of videos on reserve

Stan Gilliam (stan@pals.guilford.edu)
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 07:10:41 -0800 (PST)

It's been a while since I studied this matter, but I remember that the American
Library Association went on record stating that in their opinion, a library
carrell
for individual use is private, not public, and therefore not subject to
public-performance
prohibitions. Therefore we felt safe in allowing "home use" titles to be
watched in a carrell.
To my knowledge this is still a moot point, since there has been no
litigation on it.

At 06:01 AM 10/28/98 -0800, you wrote:
> I have always been amused that the MPAA guidlines state that a licence is
>required for individual viewing in a library study carol. As stated before
>you do not need any extra licence to put a LEGAL copy on reserve. I realize
>Kris was being honest when she stated that Indiana would use an Illegal
>copy if they could not obtain a legal one but this is frustrating. Do
>libraries put xeroxed copies of books they can not get ? We all know that
>tens of thousands of titles are NOT LEGALLY available and I think off air &
>bootleg transfers are very unfair since these films are protected.
>
> I think the above also relates to THE WHITE ROSE closed circuit question
>posed before. I know that last year I went into some detail as to why
>closed circuit use for classes is VERY BAD IDEA. The main reason is that
>thousands of titles can not be cleared for broadcast and unless the prof
>wants to change the whole sylabus. Closed Circuit will work fine for
>entertainment or perhaps a special event, but for whole classes it forces
>you to either broadcast A lot of films illegally or radically change the
>course.
>
> Bottom line folks, lots of films ARE NOT LEGALLY available on video or
>for broadcast so the prof is just going to have to find something else. If
>the title is legal. than there is no problem putting on reserve ( except
>for our northern neighbors and their restrictive copyright laws)
>
>Jessica Rosner
>
>Kino International Corporation
>333 W. 39th St. Suite 503
>New York, NY 10018