Re: Personal copies of videos on reserve

Jim Scholtz (jscholtz@gold.sdln.net)
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 16:37:57 -0600

Hi Richard,
At a college where I used to work in IL and CO, the answer was "yes," but
only under certain criteria. If the video was taped off-air, it had to
meet the off-air taping requirements and be used in face-to-face teaching 1
time and then erased (this would mean that no individual student could use
the video in a carrel, but we did allow viewing within a 1 week period for
students not being able to attend class)(remember, that off-air taped
programs and other privately taped programs, once used in a classroom
setting become the property of the school and as such are subject to public
performance, educational/fair-use laws); or the teacher had written
permission from the copyright holder to utilize an off-air taped program;
legally acquired home-use videos may be shown in a one-to-one carrel
setting for educational purposes, just as a public performance (according
to ALA, Feb 1986 pullout).

We had the faculty use a special form, acknowledging the use/video rights -
essentially tracking the videos use and giving the librarian the authority
to use it under certain conditions. This form is reproduced in my book:
Video Policies & Procedures for Public Libraries (ABC-Clio, 1996). We did
use the form, instructors liked it, and we did keep them on file for
historic reference - and we did confiscate unlawful videos and prohibit
some use, but we always made an attempt to help the faculty member get
viewing clearance/substitute material. Jim Scholtz. Yankton Community
Library.